Monday, December 20, 2010

Illustration




  This is an assignment we did in Illustration I, it's pretty much the only thing I'm proud of from that class. I loved the class, but I spent most of the year making illustrations that I felt were what illustrations were supposed to look like. I took this assignment with a more fine arts approach which made me happier so I had a lot of fun.

Here's the story: 

 I’m on an old patched up couch that smells like beer and musk. I’ve been laid across it, my shirts been unbuttoned and my pants have disappeared. Embarrassed, I can see I’m in my old grey underwear with bloodstains from before I learned about tampons. I can taste the alcohol and smoke in my mouth, stuck to the inside of my cheeks and the grime on my teeth. I feel like I’m floating. I’m on a couch in the middle of the ocean and there are fish and sharks and they’re swimming around me, gliding their slick bodies along my skin. Something touches my leg; I see the nose of a dolphin nudging the flesh of my thigh, sweet little noises coming from deep in its belly. I try to push it away because it tickles. It’s making me giggle and the sound of my own voice brings me back - to the nose becoming the calloused hand of a man I can’t recognize but has found his way up my shirt. And I can’t be here anymore. I can’t breath in the water. Why am I here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment